Comfort+ is a new cabin as of 5/2016 is now separate from the Main Cabin. It is a Delta Airlines marketed premium experience to bridge the gap between Main cabin and business/first class cabin. Travel changes are permitted but restricted based on the fare class purchased. Seat assignments are allowed at time of booking throughout the Comfort+ cabin. All Comfort+ tickets enjoy Sky Priority boarding.
It should be noted that with the creation of this new cabin, there will be a two-step upgrade process coming in the upcoming months where Main Cabin tickets will have an upgrade to Comfort+, then an upgrade to First/Business (both based upon availability).
Mileage earning and Elite status in Comfort+
The following matrix gives you your earning potential and benefits of elite status while flying Comfort+ as a Member, Silver Medallion, Gold Medallion, Platinum Medallion or Diamond Medallion on Delta marketed/operated flights.
Complimentary First Class Upgrade Clearance
Complimentary Comfort+ Upgrade
Preferred Seating (Window/aisle/exit row)
5 miles per MQD
7 miles per MQD
1 day from departure
8 miles per MQD
3 days from departure
9 miles per MQD
5 days from departure
11 miles per MQD
5 days from departure
Upgrade priority in Comfort+
The following matrix gives you an idea of your chances of an upgrade while flying Comfort+ as a Member, Silver Medallion, Gold Medallion, Platinum Medallion or Diamond Medallion on Delta marketed/operated flights.
Upgrade Tie Breakers
Pay with miles
Pay with miles
Global Upgrade Certificates
Regional Upgrade Certificates
Diamond (5 days)
Platinum (5 days)
Gold (3 days)
Silver (1 day)
Hawaii only upgradable to/from LAX/SEA/SFO/SLC
No complimentary upgrades JFK - LAX/SFO
No complimentary upgrades to Delta One™ to/from South America
Delta Reserve Credit Card
Delta Corporate Travelers
Descending Fare Buckets
NRSA and Pay with Miles
Date/Time of request
** A COMFORT+ PURCHASED TICKET DOES NOT UPGRADE TO FIRST CLASS AHEAD OF A PURCHASED MAIN CABIN FARE. THE W FARE CLASS IS TICKETED AND SUPPORTED BY A MAIN CABIN FARE BASIS CODE. THIS FARE BASIS CODE DETERMINES YOUR UPGRADE PRIORITY.
What you should expect in Comfort+
At the gate
- Seat Assignment – I’ve seen exit and bulk head rows unavailable for assignment to Silvers in the past. Not sure if this still happens.
- Boarding – See boarding zone chart above.
- Standard seat – Nothing to write home about. It’s small and has an average recline and not a lot of leg room. With elite status, you’ll get the pick of where you want to sit and have the ability to select preferred seats for free (Window/Aisle/Exit Row/Bulk Head).
- Complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic beverages over 250 miles – Coke products and light snack (Pretzels, peanuts, cookies). The snacks are the same in Economy class too.
- Beer, Wine, Spirits available for purchase – Between $6-$10 depending on what you order.
- In-seat power available on some flights – Newer planes with the upgraded seat-back entertainment have USB ports on every screen. Very useful for charging phones. Some planes have 110V AC power ports between the seats, but they are typically in the front of the plane (ie: Not basic economy).
- In-flight entertainment – Planes equipped with seat-back entertainment are useful. Otherwise you’ll need to use your phone/tablet to connect to the in-flight entertainment system. There’s a variety of movies, TV shows and music.
- Pillow/Blanket – The pillow is small and the good ‘ole red Delta blank is awkwardly sized for normal sized people and almost see through. You’ll probably need two blanks.
- Amenity/sleep kit – Honestly, I wouldn’t Economy isn’t the most comfortable, but is very tolerable on long-haul flights in a bulkhead/exit row. They give you eye shades and ear buds to make it as tolerable as possible.