I’ve had many brief stops in Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport (AMS) but not a lot of time to explore anything other that the shoppes in the terminal. If your’e careful on flight routing and flexible on schedule, you can easily explore the Amsterdam City Center. Carefully understand your layover and transportation timing – Planes won’t wait for you, and your airline may cancel the rest of your trip if you miss your connecting flight (if booked under the same ticket).
Leaving the airport
- 30+ minutes to get through passport control
- 30-45 minutes to get into the city center
Getting to the city center by train
- Exist the airport and make your way to the train station (literally right in front of the airport).
- You’ll want to take the Sprinter into the city (which usually leaves from tracks 1 or 2).
Getting back to the airport
- Budget the same amount of travel time
- 30-45 minutes to go through security and get to your gate