- This Southeast Asian country is the 13th-most populous country in the world, home to more than 108 million people.
- An iconic symbol of the country is the jeepney, the colorfully painted buses with roots dating to World War II and the U.S. military’s jeeps. But with growing pollution concerns, the classic jeepney may soon be replaced with more efficient electric vehicles.
- The Philippines is made up of 7,641 islands, making it one of the largest archipelagos in the world. But more than 5,000 of the islands remain unnamed on most international maps.
- Three of the 10 largest shopping malls in the world are located in the Philippines.
- Due to the large volume of text messages sent throughout the country, the Philippines has earned its nickname as the “text capital of the world.”
- The world’s largest pearl was discovered by a Filipino diver in the Palawan Sea. The 75-pound pearl is valued at $100 million.
- The Philippines is the largest supplier of nurses worldwide. Partially due to the limited job opportunities in the country, many citizens seek work abroad
A photographic travel blog by Sean Brown