Fare Class N is an award redemption fare class of service that is marketed as Main Cabin on Delta Air Lines. Since the introduction of dynamic award pricing, award fares operate similar to revenue fare classes in that lower fare classes have lower redemption costs and vice versa. Fare class N is not an actual fare class, but an aggregation fare class displayed on Delta.com when searching for award (miles) trips.
Below is a human-readable description of how to find the underlying fare class that explains the redemption cost (miles) with Delta’s dynamic pricing for award fares.
Fare Class N Information
Important information about Fare Class N on Delta Air Lines.
Delta Air Lines (Mainline or codeshare flight)
FLIGHT NUMBER BEGINS WITH
TICKET NUMBER BEGINS WITH
How to book Fare Class N
Information about booking Fare Class N on Delta Air Lines.
Fare Class N’s allure is that it’s a free trip, but understand the underlying award fare class gives savvy travelers the ability to understand if their award redemption is cheap (less miles) or expensive (more miles).
Step1: Search for an award trip
Just as you normally would, find a trip using Delta.com and select the Main (N) fare.
Step 2: Look for specific details on the summary screen
Once you have the flight(s) selected, in the summary screen, expand the drop down next to the flight(s).
In this example, the TPA-LAX flight shows Main Cabin (NQ), which is the underlying fare class.
Step 3: Understanding award fare class order
There are 11 award fare classes available to book in for Main Cabin. The lower fare classes have lower mileage pricing and the highest award fare classes will be insanely expensive. Searching different flights, routes and dates will help you maximize (lower) the redemption rate for award travel.
SkyMiles earnings with Fare Class N
What you’ll earn in the SkyMiles program flying with Fare Class N
2024 is the start a whole new experience with the SkyMiles program. The core of how SkyMiles members earning status has drastically changed, so please bookmark this site and check back frequently.
How to get upgraded with Fare Class N
A comprehensive guide to upgrading with Fare Class N on Delta Air Lines.
Complimentary upgrades on Delta Air Lines
Complimentary upgrades are based upon availability and are affected by Irregular Operations (IROPS) and gate agents not following operational guidelines to upgrade SkyMiles Medallion members with seats available. Your mileage may vary.
Upgrading to Comfort+
Upgrades from Main Cabin to Comfort+ are complimentary for Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members flying on Delta Air Lines operated flights with a Comfort+ cabin.
Upgrading to First Class
Upgrades from from Main Cabin to First Class are complimentary for Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members flying on Delta Air Lines operated flights with a First Class cabin.
- Widebody aircraft with lie-flat seats flying on domestic routes where the cabin is marketed as First Class are available for complimentary upgrade.
- Widebody aircraft with lie-flat seats flying select transcontinental routes marketed as Delta One are available for complimentary upgrade on day of departure only.
Upgrading to Premium Cabins (Delta Premium Select / Delta One)
Upgrades from Main Cabin to Delta Premium Select are not complimentary; however there are two ways to get upgraded to Delta Premium Select / Delta One.
- If there is an oversold situation in lower cabin of service, Medallion members may receive a operational upgrade (OpUp) to Delta Premium Select or Delta One to alleviate the oversold situation in cabin.
- A Platinum or Diamond Medallion may apply a Regional/Global upgrade certificate anytime from booking and up to 3 hours before departure.
- From Main Cabin (or Comfort+) to Delta Premium Select, Fare Class RV must be available to immediately confirm.
- From Main Cabin (or Comfort+) to First Class, Fare Class OV must be available to immediately confirm.
- From Main Cabin (or Comfort+) to Delta Premium Select, Fare Class OK must be available to immediately confirm.
- From Delta Premium Select to Delta One, Fare Class OK must be available to immediately confirm.
- If the above fare classes are not available, you can be placed on the waitlist. Waitlisted passengers can be cleared anytime up to flight departure.
- Waitlisting keeps your RUC/GUC open until the upgrade has cleared and your ticket is reissued.
Mileage Upgrade Awards (MUA) changes (as of 08/22/2023)
For Air France-operated flights, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Economy to Premium Economy to Business only on transatlantic Joint Venture flights between U.S. cities and Paris (CDG and ORY).
For Delta-marketed flights operated by Virgin Atlantic, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Economy to Premium Economy or Upper Class, as well as Premium Economy to Upper Class. Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Y, B, M, H, Q and K paid fare classes from Economy Cabin and P, A and G paid fare classes from Premium Economy.
For Delta-marketed flights operated by Aeromexico, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available on Delta’s published fare classes in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U or T for travel between the United States and Mexico.