Delta Fare Class NY or more commonly known as Main Cabin (NY) is an award/miles booking class of service on Delta Air Lines. The NY fare class is one the highest (most expensive) fare classes in the Main Cabin and tickets are considered full fare. This fare class is eligible for complimentary upgrades for SkyMiles members who hold Medallion status.
Below is a human-readable explanation of this fare class and the expectations passengers should have when flying with a Y fare class.
Fare Class NY Information
Important information about Fare Class NY on Delta Air Lines.
Delta Air Lines (Mainline or codeshare flight)
FLIGHT NUMBER BEGINS WITH
TICKET NUMBER BEGINS WITH
How expensive is Fare Class NY?
How to book Fare Class NY
Information about booking Fare Class NY on Delta Air Lines.
Fare Class NY is marketed as a Full Fare Main Cabin award fare class and is the most expensive fare class available for purchase. If you’re looking for flights and see Fare Class NY showing as the lowest fare class available, it means the flight/route you are booking likely on has a handful of seats available on one or more segments of the itinerary.
Tickets purchased in this fare class will be expensive. To book a cheaper fare class, make the following changes (if you can):
- Adjust your departure/return dates
- Search for alternate airports or co-terminals
- Search for alternate routing
If you are a frequent flyer with additional insight or are with Delta seeking to clarify the information provided, please contact me.
SkyMiles earnings with Fare Class NY
What you’ll earn in the SkyMiles program flying with Fare Class NY
2024 is the start a whole new experience with the SkyMiles program. The core of how SkyMiles members earning status has drastically changed, so please bookmark this site and check back frequently.
How to get upgraded with Fare Class NY
A comprehensive guide to upgrading with Fare Class NY on Delta Air Lines.
Complimentary upgrades on Delta Air Lines
Complimentary upgrades are based upon availability and are affected by Irregular Operations (IROPS) and gate agents not following operational guidelines to upgrade SkyMiles Medallion members with seats available. Your mileage may vary.
Upgrading to Comfort+
Upgrades from Main Cabin to Comfort+ are complimentary for Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members flying on Delta Air Lines operated flights with a Comfort+ cabin.
Upgrading to First Class
Upgrades from from Main Cabin to First Class are complimentary for Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members flying on Delta Air Lines operated flights with a First Class cabin.
- Widebody aircraft with lie-flat seats flying on domestic routes where the cabin is marketed as First Class are available for complimentary upgrade.
- Widebody aircraft with lie-flat seats flying select transcontinental routes marketed as Delta One are available for complimentary upgrade on day of departure only.
Upgrading to Premium Cabins (Delta Premium Select / Delta One)
Upgrades from Main Cabin to Delta Premium Select are not complimentary; however there are two ways to get upgraded to Delta Premium Select / Delta One.
- If there is an oversold situation in lower cabin of service, Medallion members may receive a operational upgrade (OpUp) to Delta Premium Select or Delta One to alleviate the oversold situation in cabin.
- A Platinum or Diamond Medallion may apply a Regional/Global upgrade certificate anytime from booking and up to 3 hours before departure.
- From Main Cabin (or Comfort+) to Delta Premium Select, Fare Class RV must be available to immediately confirm.
- From Main Cabin (or Comfort+) to First Class, Fare Class OV must be available to immediately confirm.
- From Main Cabin (or Comfort+) to Delta Premium Select, Fare Class OK must be available to immediately confirm.
- From Delta Premium Select to Delta One, Fare Class OK must be available to immediately confirm.
- If the above fare classes are not available, you can be placed on the waitlist. Waitlisted passengers can be cleared anytime up to flight departure.
- Waitlisting keeps your RUC/GUC open until the upgrade has cleared and your ticket is reissued.
Mileage Upgrade Awards (MUA) changes (as of 08/22/2023)
For Air France-operated flights, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Economy to Premium Economy to Business only on transatlantic Joint Venture flights between U.S. cities and Paris (CDG and ORY).
For Delta-marketed flights operated by Virgin Atlantic, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Economy to Premium Economy or Upper Class, as well as Premium Economy to Upper Class. Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Y, B, M, H, Q and K paid fare classes from Economy Cabin and P, A and G paid fare classes from Premium Economy.
For Delta-marketed flights operated by Aeromexico, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available on Delta’s published fare classes in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U or T for travel between the United States and Mexico.