What is Delta Fare Class V?
Delta Fare Class V or more commonly known as Main Cabin (V) is a revenue fare/booking class of service on Delta Air Lines. The V fare class is the lowes (least expensive) fare classes in the Main Cabin and tickets are considered deeply discounted and will usually have advanced purchase or stay duration rules. This fare class is eligible for complimentary upgrades for SkyMiles members who hold Medallion status.
Below is a human-readable explanation of this fare class and the expectations passengers should have when flying with a V fare class.
Fare Class V booking information
Important information about Fare Class V on Delta Air Lines.
How expensive is Fare Class V?
Fare Class V is marketed as a Deeply Discounted Main Cabin fare class, but is considered the lowest (least expensive) fare class with 10 higher revenue fare classes for purchase. If you’re looking for flights and see Fare Class V showing as the lowest fare class available, it means the flight/route you are booking is cheapest you’ll find.
How to find V fare inventory on Delta Air Lines
Tickets purchased in Fare Class V will the cheapest due to open inventory, advanced purchase or length of stay ticketing rules. To book a cheaper fare, search other airlines or adjacent origination/destination points.
SkyMiles frequent flyer earnings
Explore what you'll earn as a SkyMiles member flying on Delta Air Lines with a ticket in Fare Class V.
1 Distance calculations are at the sole discretion of Delta Air Lines; however, calculations generally follow the great circle distance between airports.
SkyMiles upgrades with Fare Class V ticket
Important upgrade eligibility and upgrade order information with a Fare Class V ticket on Delta Air Lines.
Where is Delta Fare Class V on the upgrade list
Complimentary upgrades on Delta Air Lines
Complimentary upgrades are based upon availability and are affected by Irregular Operations (IROPS) and gate agents not following operational guidelines to upgrade SkyMiles Medallion members with seats available. Your mileage may vary.
Upgrading to Comfort+
Upgrades from Main Cabin to Comfort+ are complimentary for Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members flying on Delta Air Lines operated flights with a Comfort+ cabin.
Upgrading to First Class
Upgrades from from Main Cabin to First Class are complimentary for Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members flying on Delta Air Lines operated flights with a First Class cabin.
- Widebody aircraft with lie-flat seats flying on domestic routes where the cabin is marketed as First Class are available for complimentary upgrade.
- Widebody aircraft with lie-flat seats flying select transcontinental routes marketed as Delta One are available for complimentary upgrade on day of departure only.
Upgrading to Premium Cabins (Delta Premium Select / Delta One)
Upgrades from Main Cabin to Delta Premium Select are not complimentary; however there are two ways to get upgraded to Delta Premium Select / Delta One.
- If there is an oversold situation in lower cabin of service, Medallion members may receive a operational upgrade (OpUp) to Delta Premium Select or Delta One to alleviate the oversold situation in cabin.
- A Platinum or Diamond Medallion may apply a Regional/Global upgrade certificate anytime from booking and up to 3 hours before departure.
- From Main Cabin (or Comfort+) to Delta Premium Select, Fare Class RV must be available to immediately confirm.
- From Main Cabin (or Comfort+) to First Class, Fare Class OV must be available to immediately confirm.
- From Main Cabin (or Comfort+) to Delta Premium Select, Fare Class OK must be available to immediately confirm.
- From Delta Premium Select to Delta One, Fare Class OK must be available to immediately confirm.
- If the above fare classes are not available, you can be placed on the waitlist. Waitlisted passengers can be cleared anytime up to flight departure.
- Waitlisting keeps your RUC/GUC open until the upgrade has cleared and your ticket is reissued.
Mileage Upgrade Awards (MUA) changes (as of 08/22/2023)
For Air France-operated flights, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Economy to Premium Economy to Business only on transatlantic Joint Venture flights between U.S. cities and Paris (CDG and ORY).
For Delta-marketed flights operated by Virgin Atlantic, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Economy to Premium Economy or Upper Class, as well as Premium Economy to Upper Class. Mileage Upgrade Awards are available from Y, B, M, H, Q and K paid fare classes from Economy Cabin and P, A and G paid fare classes from Premium Economy.
For Delta-marketed flights operated by Aeromexico, Mileage Upgrade Awards are available on Delta’s published fare classes in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U or T for travel between the United States and Mexico.