No matter how often you travel, pulling into the gate and seeing a Delta-branded Porsche waiting to whisk you away to your next flight is bad ass. The Delta Porsche transfer, or “Unicorns” as many frequent flyers call it has been see in ATL, DTW, JFK, LAX, LGA, MSP, SLC, SEA and SFO (Basically, Delta’s highest revenue airports and hubs).
Many frequent flyers and average passengers wonder how one obtains this badassery – there are only two way to get it, and surprisingly, it’s available to anyone!
Delta Porsche transfer as Surprise and delight
Delta Medallion members are eligible to be picked up by plane-side as a surprise and delight moment. It’s unannounced and no one (including reservations, the flight crew and the ground crew) knows about it until it happens. While the “surprise and delight” program is not publicly documented, it is typically reserved for Delta 360 and Diamond elite members; however, I have heard stories of Platinum elite members receiving the unicorn treatment too.
As soon as you get off the plane, a Delta elite services representative will be waiting for you with a sign with your name on it. They escort you out of the door on the jetway to the tarmac below, having never set foot in the airport terminal – super elite-rockstar-like treatment.
Occasionally, they’ll pick up multiple Medallion members from one flight and shuttle them to their gates as a surprise to say thank you for flying with Delta.
I can’t stress this enough, the surprise and delight program is completely random and there is no way (that i’ve found) to influence Delta to pick you over someone else, even on super tight connections – my thinking is that the great Delta computer does this at random.
Delta VIP select
Here’s the fun part, if you have disposable income and want to be treated like an actual rockstar, Delta has a VIP select service which arranges transfers between flights at ATL, DTW, JFK, LAX, LGA, MSP, SLC, SEA and SFO. The Delta VIP select service is a paid service and can only be reserved by calling 1-855-235-9847.
2022 Updated Pricing:
ATL – One person $350 | Two people $425 | Each additional person $125
JFK, LAX, LGA, DTW, MSP, SLC, SEA, SFO – One person $250 | Two people $325 | Each additional person $125
LAX OFF-AIRPORT VEHICLE TRANSFER: One person $350 | Two people $425 | Each additional person $125
There are some interesting rules and information about the Delta VIP Select service:
- All VIP Select reservations are recommended to book >24-hours in advance, and no less than 6-hours prior to first meet – NO EXCEPTIONS (Sorry frequent flyers, you can’t use this for tight connections unless you book 6 hours in advance).
- The only way to book VIP Select is by calling the toll-free number, reservations cannot assist, neither can any online messaging platforms.
- Per their terms and conditions, they do not guarantee a Porsche transfer. You could be escorted inside the terminal via Delta agent(s) on a golf cart; however, the few times I have used this has always been a Porsche transfer.
- Reservations are first-come-first-serve and subject to availability.
Typically, Delta VIP Select is used for – wait for it – VIP’s. I’ve personally sat next to the rapper T.I. and watched his entourage get the VIP-treatment.
The difference between surprise and delight vs VIP select
Surprise and delight experience
- Typically used for high value customers to their next flight or Sky Club (Active Sky Club Membership required).
- You may be shuttled with other high value customers from your inbound flight.
- Agent will usually offer to snap pictures for passengers to remember the awesome experience.
VIP Select experience
- Dedicated service for your party only.
- Dedicated agents handling flight following and rerouting as needed to ensure a seamless experience.
- VIP Select agent will meet at the boarding door and accompany passengers from plane to a private Sky Club entrance. No membership or elite status required to enter the Sky Club.
- VIP Select agent will accompany passengers from Sky Club to onward flight.
Have you had a Delta Air Lines Porsche transfer?